To move Active Directory to new hardware smoothly with minimal disruption for your users, use the following checklist:
- Review the requirements for installing UMove.
- Install and run UMove in demonstration mode. This will let you become familiar with how UMove works.
- Review the network configuration, especially DNS.
- If you plan to move from Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) to Windows Server 2008 R2, prepare AD for R2 (if needed).
- Do a test move on a test computer.
- Prepare the destination computer.
- Review any applications that you need to move.
- On the source computer, run UMove to take a snapshot of Active Directory.
- Transfer the .BKF file or the backup tape/media to the destination computer. Turn off the source computer and disconnect it from the network.
- Run UMove on the destination computer. Load Active Directory into the destination computer.
- Clean up and uninstall UMove.
See also Topics to Review.
|UMove for Active Directory|